Trying to figure out whether to build your website on your own or hire a developer? Read further to know what is your best option.
You have decided to build a website, using WordPress, to either sell your product online or just showcase your blogs or vlogs. The bigger question now is how to go about that. Should you try and build the website on your own or should you hire a developer?
Hiring a WordPress Developer
WordPress is a unique and highly evolved Content Management System (CMS) that provides its users with a great amount of flexibility while designing the website. However, if you are a newbie, you might miss out on a lot of finer details. This is where having a professional WordPress developer can come to your aid.
Let us look at the pros and cons of having a developer onboard.
- Improving your design idea – While you may have the foundational idea for the theme and design of your website, a professional developer can understand your requirement and improve it further by choosing the right plugins in line with the website’s design.
- Making use of customisation features – A professional developer can tailor the available features to meet your needs.
- Saves time – You will save a lot of time that you may have to spend on researching the WordPress platform. Furthermore, it saves time that goes into corrections. You can use the time to figure out and sharpen your marketing communication.
- Technical support – Most developers/s provide regular technical support for a fixed period, at a minimum charge, to help you tackle and remove any technical glitch that may arise in the future.
- Keeping up with the security features – WordPress as a platform regularly changes and updates its security features to protect the information of its community. A developer, adept in WordPress, can help you navigate and understand the everchanging landscape.
- A wide array of options – Last but not least, when hiring a professional developer, you can choose based on their previous work and track record.
- High cost – The biggest downside of hiring a WordPress developer is its cost implication. A developer worth his salt can weigh heavy on your pocket and might derail your budget. The cost part may reflect in the future as well when you would require any kind of change in your website’s coding, design, etc.
The other option to develop a website on WordPress is to do it on your own. However, that too has its own set of positives and negatives depending upon whether you are well versed with the platform or not.
Building the Website Yourself on WordPress
WordPress offers a plethora of pre-built themes with custom templates where you can simply put your content as per your requirement. This, however, is to be done within the framework defined. You can also easily change and edit the content. Working on WordPress is like rearranging the room, where you have all the stuff, to give it your desired look.
While it saves you a lot of money, as WordPress is available free of cost, you do end up investing a lot of time if you are not familiar with the workings and styles of the platform.
So, the answer to the big question of whether you should hire WordPress developers depends on three essential things. That is your design requirement, availability of budget, and effective timeframe.